The New York FP&A Board met on 14 June 2018 for the fourth time in the beautiful Michael Page office in Midtown Manhattan to debate on the popular subject of the Driver-Based Planning (DBP). The Board looked at the evolution of DBP, successful case studies and deep dived into the DBP Maturity Model. Saurabh Jain, VP Business Performance Controlling at Siemens Healthcare, shared his insights on implementing DBB.
- Evolution of Driver-Based Planning (DBP).
- Driver-Based approach as a basis for predictive analytics, effective Rolling Forecast and Scenario Planning
- A mini-case study from the field. "Driver-Based Budgeting: Navigating across the Complex Organization". Presentation by Saurabh Jain, VP Business Performance Controlling at Siemens Healthcare
- Evolution of Driver-Based Planning: DBP Maturity Model. Group work
- Conclusions and recommendations
24 senior finance professionals from leading organisations exchanged their knowledge and expertise. They represented:
- Bayer U.S. LLC
- Bank of America
- Colgate Palmolive
- First Data Corporation
- ITT Inc.
- Xylem Inc.
- and many others.
DBP is one of the most important concepts in the FP&A world at present.
This is the bases for many essential FP&A concepts and methods such as:
- Rolling Forecast
- Scenario Planning
- Integrated Planning
- Predictive Analytics
- Improved corporate vision
The process of identifying the drivers and constructing the model involves a lot of data science knowledge, passion, and creativity. It is amazing to observe how some pioneering organizations already started to use the AI/ML tools for forecasting and planning.
In the FP&A world, we are still just at the beginning of this journey. However, the trend of using the oceans of external and internal data for defining the Key Drivers and developing the DBP is here to stay.
For sure, we will see a lot of projects in this area in the next 2-3 year.