On the 26th of June 2018, the London FP&A Board held its 20th meeting with an interesting debate on FP&A Team Building.
- What is the profile of modern FP&A professional?
- FP&A team roles. How to achieve synergy?
- A case study from the field.
- “The virtual FP&A team”, by Gemma Davie, Senior FP&A Director at CA Technologies
- FP&A team building. Group work.
- Conclusions and recommendations.
The event was attended by 24 senior finance practitioners who shared their experience and ideas with each other. They represented international and local companies, such as:
- CA Technologies
- Chubb Fire & Security
- Kingfisher plc
- Pernod Ricard
- Thomson Reuters
The board discussed 4 professional roles and 8 behavioral roles and debated on the key steps in building FP&A. Gemma Davie, Senior FP&A Director at CA Technologies, shared her practical insights about building effective virtual teams. With the evolving role of the FP&A in organizations, the list of the key professional attributes is long:
- Good communication and stakeholder management skills
- Understanding of the technologies
- Good Business Partnering skills
- Commercial curiosity and business acumen
- Strong leadership
- Ability to interpret data
- Ability to see both the big picture and the details
- Personality types that thrive on new ideas and creative thinking
To find all the above attributes in one professional is not easy. This is the reason why FP&A Team building is the way to go.